“I’ll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour
I’ll be there for you, ’cause I’ve been there before
I’ll be there for you, ’cause you’re there for me too …”
I bet all of you reading this are either singing or humming along to the rest of the song in your heads! For those of you who are not, you have no idea what you’re missing out on! Okay okay I admit that I’m a bit (well technically more than a bit lol) biased when it comes to FRIENDS 😀
But come on, how else can I be, if not addicted to the awesomeness that is the show? I started watching it when I was in Year 7 at school, under the supervision of my mum who was a bit worried about the content and its effect on me. But soon enough the sitcom had her under its spell as well and both of us were hooked for life. My dad and sis and aunt were added to the audience over the years, and most recently my cousins. (not to mention, so many of my friends!)
The 10th and final season drew to a close more than 4 years ago but the magic of the show still lingers on, as strong as it ever was, if not stronger! I don’t think any of the fans will ever get tired of watching any of the episodes, however many times they have watched it before .. it’s still as funny and touching and satisfying, and most of us will enjoy it now as much as we enjoyed it the first time.
It lasted for 10 long years and it’s probably one of the most long-standing and lasting things in my 20 years so far … I don’t think I can remember life before Chandler, Joey, Monica, Phoebe, Rachel and Ross (alphabetical order, not in order of favourites :D) . Life before Central Perk and Gunther and shrilly Janice (“Oh … my … God!” anyone?) and Richard … without the weirdness and eccentricity of street-smart Phoebe and her crazy yet endearing songs (Who can forget ‘Smelly Cats’???) … without adorable, baby/kid-at-heart, women and food obsessed Joey (JOEY DOESN’T SHARE FOOD! :P) … without the likeable yet anal competitive control freak that is Monica … without statistical analysis and data reconfiguration executive Chandler (YES that IS what he used to do before turning to advertising!) and his ‘Chandler’ sarcasm and wit … without the ditziness of fashion-crazy Rachel … without the dinosaur-mad, special geekiness of Ross (He is one of my favourites for his typical ‘Rossness’ :D). Without the entity that is ‘Ross and Rachel’ (WE WERE ON A BREAK!!!). And of course, life without ” how you doin’?” … I could go on and on. And some more.
The FRIENDS poster I have in my Uni room says it all! –
Everything I know in life, I learned from FRIENDS:
- Never use ‘we were on a break’ as an excuse.
- Remember: it’s not that common, it doesn’t happen to every guy and it IS a big deal!
- Everybody has a lobster.
- Quitting the gym is just as hard as quitting the bank.
- Phoebo is NOT a good name for your child!
- For more space in bed, use the ‘hug and roll’ technique.
- Yemen is a good place to escape unwanted girlfriends.
- You can do a LOT with just cups and ice.
- Always say the right name at the altar.
- Powder and lotion will not help remove hot and sticky leather trousers.
- Man bags aren’t manly.
- Don’t count ‘Mississippily’ when in a tanning booth.
- ‘How you doin’ never fails.
- If stung by a jellyfish, pee on it.
- Never let a monkey near a TV remote.
- Only in prison do they ‘cup’ whilst measuring for pants!
- It’s not Smelly Cat’s fault.
- Always read make-up letters all the way through, even if they are 18 pages long: front and back!
- You should leave you synth keyboard back in the 80’s where it belongs.
- A nap with your best friend could be the best nap you ever had!
- Never let slip to a child that they are in fact adopted.
- Meat is NOT an ingredient in trifle.
- There’s no such thing as shark porn.
- Your first name is not your family name.
- Throwing your own wake is not a good way to meet women.
- A ‘day of fun’ is a good way to get to know someone.
- Everyone has an identical hand-twin.
- Eating too much meat can cause meat sweats.
- It’s never too late to resurrect the routine, just don’t change it.
- Regina Falange and Ken Adams make great false names.
- It’s possible to drink a gallon of milk in 10 seconds.
- When moving a couch upstairs, PIVOT!
- A silent auction is not a contest to guess the right price.
- Always double-check your measurements when making an entertainment unit.
- Playing too much on arcade machines can lead to getting the claw.
- Ugly, naked and guy do not make for an attractive combination.
- Never pose for a VD poster campaign.
- ‘Pheebs’ is short for Phoebe, it’s not just what we call our friends.
- Never let a chick and a duck near a fussball table.
- Wooden spoons and toy-trucks make for great massaging tools.
- Never put your head in a turkey.
- Taping oven mitts to your hands will prevent you from scratching chicken pox.
- Never bet your apartment in a game of ‘Who Knows Who’.
- Don’t leave teeth whitening gel on for longer than recommended.
- W.E.N.U.S stands for … ummm? …
- Everyone is entitled to a freebie list of 5 celebrities they can sleep with if the opportunity arises.